Sunday, April 20, 2008

Plantain Lasagna

Okay folks, here goes!

Ingredients:
5 or 6 ripe plantains
Olive oil for frying

Sauce:
5 tomatoes
chipotle pepper
1 smoked tomato
1/2 cup cashews
1 head garlic
pinch of sugar
salt
fresh cilantro and oregano

Black beans:
1 cup dry beans
2 onions
garlic

Oaxaca string cheese
parmesan

On a skillet or in oven, roast tomatoes, and garlic till blackened on each side. Roast cashews in oven till golden brown. Blend to make tomato sauce. Add cilantro and oregano to taste. Set aside.

Cook black beans with whole onion (preferably in clay pot). When beans are cooked, remove and discard onion. Cut up second onion and sautee in pan with oil. Strain beans into pan and squish them how Raquel taught you with the bottom of a jar or a mug. Add salt to taste.

Cut up plantains diagonally and fry on both sides in oil of your choice ( I like olive oil). Make sure that they are browned on both sides.

Layer lasagna starting with sauce, then plantains, cheese, beans, etc. Bake till it's all melty and browned.
I experiment with it so I am not sure about ingredient amounts, but I think it's a pretty forgiving recipe.

2 comments:

rebeccaonion said...

Yay! thankfully, I actually own a clay pot, made by brother Joshua Onion, and I don't use it as much as I should, so I will use it for this.

raquel said...

yay